Friday, September 09, 2005

Middle Age Mirror: portrait of the artist

Click on Image to Enlarge it and hit your back button to return to this page:
This painting is an acrylic and acrylic gouache on bristol board. Framed it it measures about 16 x 19 inches. The work was inspired by the seemingly inevitable momement many women fear; when we look into the mirror and see our mother.
I decided to embrace the moment versus fearing it. Age happens. My mother died at age 88 in 2002. She spent most of her life smiling. Painting her from memory and a few photo images, I caught her smile even in her last year.
I am at crossroads. I live in a beautiful area in a lovely home. As time passes, I am more than ever aware of our temporal existance.
Looking in the mirror, I hope to push beyond the surface and become more of my own person and a stronger artist.

No comments: