Thursday, August 10, 2006

Glades Song


I am not sure why, but painting the figure is so much fun for me. A local group of artists meet weekly to draw the figure from life. I am so happy to have this opportunity again. Hiring models is difficult on a tight budget, but being able to practice my craft with others not only keeps my skills honed, it is just plain fun. I believe artists need other artists. We have such a great informal group comprised of members of Jo-Ann Lizio's organization: Atlier Lizio
Occasionally, I hire a model or two just for myself. This painting: Glades Song is a result of such a session. I prefer not to do formal portraits, but to put people in natural settings and try to capture not only a likeness but the essence of the person/people in the picture. Here two friends/collegues are just visiting and enjoying a quiet song in a park like setting near the Everglades.

5 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Trudy, you have captured the wonderful laid-back attitude of these two. Great work!!!

Martha

Trudy Bentley Rech said...

Thanks Martha. Your comments mean a lot to me because I am a huge fan or your work.

Chris Beacham said...

I am so jealous of your representational skills! I'm learning but they don't usually meet posting quality.

I like the idea of an artist group. I work with Maggi and she is a great help (http://maggigrace.info/paintings.html) but she says she can't draw. She's full of it! ;-)

Anonymous said...

your figures are marvellous ... so nice to see figure paintings rather than portraits. Is this done in oils or pastel ... looks like pastel from here but then I am in New Zealand! (ha ha)

Trudy Bentley Rech said...

Thank your Lesly...I am working almost exclusively in oils right now, and this painting it in oils.
I really like to paint figures in natural situations versus traditional portraits.