Saturday, November 03, 2007

Virtual Disaster

It has been a long time since I posted on my blogs.  This year has been good as far as emerging goes, but I am very distraught at this time.

My wonderful (formerly wonderful) custom built PC with a RAID and back up external drive crashed.  It has crashed in the past, however this crash killed it.  I thought I was fine because despite some important data file loss (my stupidity), all of my paintings were photographed or scanned and saved in a couple different formats on my external drive.  It was a shared drive on our network, in that my husband's computer could also access it.  

The bottom heartbreaking line is that now despite hours of restoration attempts using a forensic program my old PC seems to be totally dead.  The external hard drive is not visible to our other PC and my new system; a MAC, can copy the drive but cannot see the files.  Now it is possible to read the same files on a MAC but because the drive isn't formated for a MAC I can't access the drive.  

It is a nightmare.  No matter what media you use for back up.  Back up on OTHER media.  Back up your back ups and back them up some more.  

It is possible that some way we will recover the files, but it will take more time or energy than I saved by not being triply redundant (she said redundantly).  I am honestly ill.

No comments: